Thursday, June 9, 2016

Blog Post 1: Technology Strengths and Weakness

                       I have strengths in each of the standard of the ITSE standards for Teachers (2016).  For standard one (ITSE, 2016) I try and bring in technology connections for what we are doing in class. If I see that the students have a particular interest or more knowledge is needed for a lesson I will use my IPad or other technology. One example of this was when we were reading about the levels of the ocean and what animals live there and if they produce their own light (bioluminescent). Well I had an app I got for free that I had thought was cool but hadn’t used in my class yet called Creatures of Light (American Museum of Natural History, 2012). It showed different aspects of animals that make their own light. I was fascinated by it as well as the kids and it help expand our knowledge about how and why animals adapt to their environments. Another time we were reading about giant squids and I researched Edith Widder who was in the article and found a video of her doing a TEDtalk (Widder, 2013) about getting the first giant squid ever on video. We watched and were fascinated with it.

In standard two (ITSE, 2016) coming up with technology integration lessons to go along with curriculum would be a strength. However actually using the technology with students as a group or making sure all students get the same amount of access is a weakness. Getting into a computer lab at school has been very hard.  Usually the times don't have anything to do with the subject the project is on and are separated by more than one day. It can be one or more weeks before the class can go to the lab again. This doesn't help with getting the content and process across to second grade students who need to do things quickly before they forget.  There are only two working computers in the class so getting all the students to complete a project during regular class time would be time consuming. Usually I have at least one day in the lab and students finish up in the classroom.  Again I have taught at schools were this was not an issue. The school I am at currently does not push technology as much as the first school I was at in Northside. They required technology projects and had goals that needed to be followed. Some of the decline I feel is due to leadership in our district but some is due to the importance the Principal and Vice Principal place on technology being used for other things rather than just for STAAR or fact practice.

Strand three and four (ITSE, 2016) would be my biggest strengths. Modeling technology is done daily in my class through iPads (I purchased one for the students to use), my iPhone, 2 student computers and an Elmo projection system. During reading some examples of my modeling include: showing how I track books that I have read and reviewed with Goodreads, a book battle using Google forms  vote for their favorite graphic novel, and using the IPad/IPhone to look up words that students may need a definition or more information about during a lesson. Discussions about how students can apply the technology for themselves or in other ways is always a big part of the lesson.  Some examples for math include different textbook links, apps, and computer programs to practice fact. I also model how to solve problems using virtual manipulatives or during a video that I recorded that can be used at home.

Also in standard three (ITSE, 2016), improving knowledge of current trends and practices with technology in the classroom whether it be professional development through the district, reading a book, or reading a blog is another strength I have.  Useful ideas from these sources is passed along through a class newsletter, lessons, email, or discussion with other teachers. I am not afraid to try new technology devices or programs whether it is successful or not (and with technology sometimes doing things multiple times is a requirement). There have been a lot of good ideas from these blogs that I implemented successfully. Some were not so successful and were adapted or not used again. 

There is a weakness here as well. Collaboration and getting ideas with follow teachers is wonderful. However there are some strong personalities and a difference in work ethic at my current school that keeps collaboration from being successful (specifically on my grade level).  Doing the minimum required is not always best for the student but what is best or easiest for the teacher. This usually calls for more work on the teachers’ part so the students are more successful.  During collaboration suggestions are made and usually things are done so it is easier for the teacher (less work) rather than what is best for the student. I am very outspoken and I have learned sometimes it is better just to not start a big fight.  This is not to say that I don’t do what is best for the student. Sometimes you have do what you feel is best and not just say anything.  I have taught at two schools where collaboration was very successful so I know what it should look like if it was successful.  I hope that when I become a librarian I am able to teach at a school like the two schools who collaborated successfully. I do think that it became a positive that collaboration was not successful because it made me go look outside my school to get ideas and talk with teachers who were more open minded and not afraid to try new things. 

To overcome the weaknesses above will take some thinking. One solution would be to go to another school where collaboration and work ethic is valued more. I do continually put myself on the transfer list. I don’t necessarily think that this would fix everything though. Getting into the computer lab is an ongoing issue that may not be able to be solved. Talking with administration helped some, but there are still large chunks of time that are being used by certain grade levels every week.  Getting creative with time blocks also helped a little but testing and curriculum timelines prevent this from being a successful long term fix. There are computers in the library that I can send students to work on but this comes with problems of its own. You have to send students that can be well behaved and follow the directions with little help. I work in a school where the population is very low. A lot of my students this year would need guided help throughout whatever project they were on. I could maybe think of two or three students that may be able to go to another room and be self-directed and well behaved. In order to teach students how to learn with technology they have to have access to it. Hopefully with more thinking and discussion with administration a solution can be reached.

In standard five (ITSE, 2016) my strength would be as I listed about my professional development. I am always on the lookout for new information and how to implement things better. However I am not one to actively seek out a leadership role. One reason would be that the school I am at now the leadership roles are given to certain people and no one else is given an opportunity to do them.  But I don’t look for the opportunities either. I don’t like to teach adults particularly if they have strong personalities. I have done a few things at the first school in Northside I was at such as teach a workshop on how to do a technology program, but nothing recently. As a librarian I will have more opportunities and will have a larger leadership role. I know this will be probably my biggest weakness.  Some of it is due to being teased a lot growing up and having people focus on me brings up this anxiety around adults. I have become very honest and upfront about things and sometimes this can be taken the wrong way. As I have gotten older I think I have gotten better at it but I need to push myself more to take on more leadership roles.



References:
American Museum of Natural History. (2012) Creatures of Light. [App] Retrieved from https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/creatures-of-light/id528261564?mt=8

ISTE. (2016). Standards for Teachers.  [Website]. Retrieved from http://www.iste.org/standards/iste-standards/standards-for-teachers

Widder, E. (2013, February). Edith Widder: How we Found Giant Squids. [Video File]. Retrieved from:  http://www.ted.com/talks/edith_widder_how_we_found_the_giant_squid

No comments:

Post a Comment