Monday, June 20, 2016

Blog Post 2: Handheld Devices

          I have used Ipads in my classroom for many years so transitioning using them in the library will be difficult for me. Standard describes some of the same things that I had to think about when using an Ipad in a classroom or a library.

         The key point for Standard (2013) was that Ipads should not be used to just to use technology (I took this to mean just for fun or basic applications like fact learning). They need to have a purpose and support the instruction and take it to the next step. I agree with this but as tech savvy teacher sometimes you have to hook the students by showing the “cool” factor of the app or program or even just the Ipad’s capabiities. Then you get to the meat of why it is being used.

          A second point that is key from Standard (2013)  is going over procedures of using the Ipad itself and not the app or program being used. Rules and procedures are always important when doing things new in the classroom and using an expensive Ipad is no different. One thing she pointed out that I didn’t think of was where they would sit with it and how it would affect others around them. The first couple of years I used the Ipad this wasn’t a problem because my students were very self-driven and behaviors in the class were not a problem. But as the years passed, particularly this year, I noticed more students were distracted by the person using the Ipad. Not because they were causing problems but the other students wanted in on what the person with the Ipad was doing. Since I only had one Ipad this was both good and bad. Good that other students were interested, but bad that I couldn’t have more access the Ipads and that they were not staying on task. As a teacher it is something I will think about this year and for the future when I am a librarian.

          The last point that I thought was important was that to think about going slow and not being set back by failures for the lessons or apps being used. Standard (2013) made a good point that multiple attempts with technology is needed and to self-reflect on what did and did not work for lessons or apps and build on the experiences. She referred to the fable of the Hare and Tortoise about going slow will win the race in the end. A good analogy of using technology and how sometimes being slow is a good thing in the classroom or library.

          In the future when I am a librarian I will have to think about areas in my library that can be set up to sit and use Ipads where they won’t interfere with other activities go on.  I have several apps that I currently use that would still be good for use in the library:  Green Screen and Animation (Dk Pictures, Inc, 2015), Toontastic (Launchpad Toys, 2015), and Telestory (Launchpad Toys, 2014).  These apps would all be good to use for spreading info about what is going on in the library, making book talk or book trailers, and end products for research. I have many more apps but these apps I feel fit the criteria Standard talked about in this article the best. They are not just a basic app but they have to use them to show what they learned.by putting ideas together and coming up with something on their own. They are very open ended.

References:

DK Pictures, Inc. (2015). Animation and Drawing by Do Ink [App]. Retrieved from https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/animation-drawing-by-do-ink/id364762290?mt=8

DK Pictures, Inc. (2015). Green Screen by Do Ink  [App]. Retrieved from https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/green-screen-by-do-ink/id730091131?mt=8


Launchpad Toys. (2014). Telestory  [App]. Retrieved from https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/telestory/id915378506?mt=8


Launchpad Toys. (2015). Toontastic [App]. Retrieved from https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/toontastic/id404693282?mt=8


Standard, A. (2013, November/December). Trapped on the iPad crazy training? five easy steps to regain your sanity. Library Media Connection, 32(3), 40-42. Retrieved from http://libproxy.library.unt.edu:2308/ehost/detail/detail?sid=ef7637ec-b8ca-49c9-ab1c-cd005b2ab120@sessionmgr4002&vid=8&hid=4201&bdata=JnNjb3BlPXNpdGU=#db=lls&AN=91687779

No comments:

Post a Comment